Saturday, June 21, 2008

"Realistic" Superheroes

There's a whole debate in movies about suspension of disbelief. Its pretty much a load of B.S.

I saw The Incredible Hulk. It was good. But it could have been better if it was more realistic.

Now you are probably saying, "ITS A FRICKING COMIC BOOK OF COURSE ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE REALISTIC!" You might have a point except that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the characters.

The Matrix is a great movie. But part of what makes it a great movie is that the characters act like real people. Sure, they are in a crazy invented world where you can stop bullets but the characters still act like they should IF that world did exist.

The problem with sci-fi movies that are annoyingly unrealistic is when the characters do dumb things. I don't know about you but if the Incredible Hulk DID exist, and I saw him, I would haul ass in the opposite direction. When I watch The Incredible Hulk (not the 2003 one, the new one), I can't stand when a human just stands there waiting to get in the Hulk's way. Idiots. Not realistic.

I don't care about people who say you have to have a "suspension of disbelief". I say the people in the movie still shouldn't act like dumbasses. And I don't think thats too much to ask.

...You're Welcome

1 comment:

AAu said...

andrew, our secret love affair is officially over. you liked The Matrix??

Keanu: "Whoa, dude! I'm stuck in the Matrix!"

If it hadn't been for the hot chick in the patent leather, it would have been a total loss.