Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Patriots Linebacker Analysis


Everyone seems to be complaining about the New England Patriots' outside linebacker situation. For some reason they assume that just because we traded away an elderly Mike Vrabel that we have no pass rush. I have a contrarian take on this, so...


I got a question in over at the Reiss's Pieces mailbag (Patriots Blog). Its on Tully Banta-Cain and the 7th question down:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extras/askreiss/05_12_09/?page=full

Although Mike Reiss runs one of the best blogs out there I do think he might be sleeping on Tully as well.

As I mentioned to him in the portion of my question that was abridged, Banta-Cain only started 6 games in 2006 and still managed 5.5 sacks! Thats more than either Mike Vrabel or Jason Taylor could manage this past year!

Banta-Cain is only 29 years old and I don't think its much of a stretch to expect a bounce back year from him now that he is reunited with the Patriots.

Tully Banta-Cain, everyone is counting you out but me. ...You're Welcome.

2 comments:

navin said...

He was pretty mediocre with SF. The 49ers do run a different 3-4 than the Patriots, so you may be right.

Unknown said...

Yeah he was terrible there. Many Patriots are considerably worse after they sign with new teams, but I am hopeful that Belichick puts him back on track.